Thoughts on Kingdom, Church, and Grace from an American living in Hong Kong

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

In Memorium: Dom Deluise 1933-2009


I had not intended to write so many "in Memorium" blogs but when someone passes who has had an impact on my life, I feel I need to pause for a moment, reflect on that person's life,...and then I write.

I woke this morning to hear of the passing of actor and comedian, Dom Deluise. Deluise is best known for his work in such Mel Brooks movies such as Spaceballs & Silent Movie as well as his collaborations with real life friend, Burt Reynolds. Its in latter that I will most miss him. Whenever Deluise and Reynolds would team up, I would just laugh. Deluise coming out in his infamous "Captain Chaos" costume to his familiar "Dunt ...Dunt...DAHhhhhhh!" intro was parodied by my brothers and I for years growing up. (I wanted to include a clip from Youtube of one those scenes with Reynolds, but China is still blocking access to Youtube)

Burt Reynolds says of his friend,
I was thinking the other day about this. As you get older you think about this more and more, I was dreading this moment. Dom always made everyone feel better when he was around. I never heard him say an unkind word about anyone. I will miss him very much.




Dom Deluise comedy was often not the type to make me laugh outloud. His humor was of a different brand. What he gave me was a different feeling. Thinking about it now I think, "Yes, when I watched Dom Deluise, he gave me joy."

And with the passing of Mr. Deluise, the world has now, sadly, just a little less joy...

No comments: