Thoughts on Kingdom, Church, and Grace from an American living in Hong Kong

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tina Fey or Sarah Palin???

Last Saturday the 34th season of Saturday Night Live premiered. After hearing the buzz of Tina Fey's performance portraying vice-Presidential nominee Sarah Palin, I decided to download it and see for myself. I watched it three times in a row...and it just kept getting funnier. Now in the name of full disclosure I, like most thinking men, harbour a small crush on Tina Fey. Its OK, my wife is fully aware of this. (As a disclaimer to anyone reading this with no sense of humor, I don't REALLY have a crush on Tina Fey, it was just a witty attempt to convey my very real respect for her comic genius)

Anyhow, Tina, who looks like Gov. Sarah Palin's twin sister, performed a 5 1/2 minute opening sketch with Amy Pohler playing Hillary Clinton. Unfortunately, the whole sketch seems to be removed from YouTube (except clip pieces which I include) but is available from I tunes.

It's also unfortunate that the McCain camp lashed out of the portrayal of Palin who was made, admittedly, to look like an airhead (The "And I can see Russia from my house" was priceless). However, Sen. Clinton was made to look like the ambitious, Lady McBeth character she is usually portrayed as but no accusations by the left were made on her behalf.

To her credit, Gov. Palin found the portrayal of herself "amusing" so come on McCain camp- it's comedy...lighten up!!

Now, if only Tina Fey can be convinced to continue moonlighting from her gig at 30 Rock to shoot over to Saturday Night Live and play the role she was practically born to play. If she does, this election could get a whole lot funnier!!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Heh! I need to find the whole bit somewhere. I can imagine that the SNL staff is pulling for McCain/Palin so they can use that bit for the next 4-8 years. :)

I think the true test of rabid partisanship is when SNL spoofs the team one is rooting for... if you can laugh, you are free! ;)